When the Orlando Solar Bears had to change their schedule because of concerts scheduled at the Amway Center it meant changing two games with Allen from Friday and Saturday to Thursday and Sunday. Because of the schedule change the team spent the last two days primarily checking out the sites and attractions in and around Orlando.
Universal Studios was the main attraction based on what was posted on social media but the Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens, Cocoa Beach, Hard Rock Cafe and the NFL All-Star game activities were also on the list of things to do.
- It is back to hockey today with an early, 12:30 pm CST puck drop. It is a promotion with the Girl Scouts.
- The Americans beat Florida 3-2 on Wednesday and lost to Orlando 4-3 in a shootout on Thursday. Getting three of four points is certainly laudable but Allen was out shot in the two games by a total of 86-46. The Americans will have to play better defensively today if they expect to win.
- Allen will have as good a roster as they have had in a long time. Bryan Moore and Jake Marchment played with little sleep on Thursday after spending all day on plane just to get to Orlando. Zach Hall is listed as day to day but it is most likely he will not be in the lineup today.
- Here are the current stats comparing Allen and Orlando:
Team Record 26-15-2-2 (56 points) 21-15-4-2 (48 points)
Division Ranking 1st - Mountain 4th -South
Conference Ranking 2nd - Western 7th - Eastern
League Ranking 4th 14th
Last Game 4-3 Loss (Orlando) 4-3 Win (Allen)
Goals For 164 153
Goals Against 130 153
Power Play 19.0% (38/200) 17.1% (32/187)
Penalty Kill 84.5% (33/213) 75.6% (41/168)
Most PIM Mathers (163) Brouillard (62)
Leading Scorers: Costello (23-53-76) Faille (16-26-42)
Hanson (22-25-47) Manderson (11-31-42)
- Here is how Allen and Orlando rank in the ECHL in some statistical categories:
Penalty Minutes Per Game: Allen 1st (29.78) - Orlando 10th (14.45)
Goals Scored Per Game: Allen 6th (3.64) - Orlando 7th (3.64)
Goals Allowed Per Game: Allen 5th (2.89) - Orlando 23rd (3.64)
Shots For Per Game: Allen 14th (32.04) - Orlando 1st (36.95)
Shots Against Per Game: Allen 26th (34.96) - Orlando 23rd (34.52)
Power Play Percentage: Allen 10th (19.0%) - Orlando 12th (17.1%)
Penalty Kill Percentage: Allen 8th (84.5%) - Orlando 27th (75.6%)
A couple of things stand out when you look at the stats above. Orlando
is tops in the league in generating shots, averaging almost 37 per game.
Allen is ranked #24 in allowing shots. If Allen gives up more than 40
shots tonight it could spell defeat. In Orlando's win on Thursday they out shot Allen 47-25. In Allen's favor is the Orlando
penalty kill which is the worst in the ECHL at 75.9% but at home they are even
worse with a penalty kill percentage of only 68.6%. Allen was 2-6 on the power play Thursday night. It could be a difference maker in the game this afternoon.
- Orlando is 4-5-0-1 in the last ten games and has lost five of their last six home games
dating back to Christmas. Four of their last five home games have gone to overtime or a shootout.
The referee scheduled today is Tyler Puddifant (#28) and the linesmen are Jeff Ning (#97) and Chris Cahoon.
- Colorado beat Wichita 9-4 last night and Alaska beat Idaho 3-2 in overtime while Allen was idle. The Mountain Division standings have tightened up again. Here are the current standings:
56 points - Allen
56 points - Colorado
54 points - Idaho
53 points - Alaska
44 points - Utah
43 points - Missouri
35 points - Rapid City
- Alex Lavoie has 39 points (11 goals 28 assists) in 40 games playing in Sweden for BIK Karlskoga. Alex is second in the league in scoring. His team is in second place in a 14 team league.
DID YOU KNOW: The top three in plus/minus for a season all took place in 2014-15. Here are the top 10 all-time:
+45 - Chad Costello (2014-15)
+35 - Greger Hanson (2014-15)
+31 - Gary Steffes (2014-15)
+27 - Dave Bonk (2010-11)
+26 - Trevor Ludwig (2014-15)
+25 - Aaron Gens (2014-15)
+25 - Jamie Schaafsma (2013-14)
+24 - Jack Combs (2014-15)
+24 - Kevin Young (2014-15)
+24 - Joel Chouinard (2016-17)