Tuesday, November 17, 2015

ALLEN - MISSOURI GAME PREVIEW AND INTERVIEW WITH LEE HASTINGS

*Please note while Barry's name remains at the bottom of this blog, he is on vacation and the information/views posted in his absence do not reflect Barry's views or the views of the Allen Americans organization.

Game Preview:
  • This is the second meeting of 11 for the 2015-16 season
  • Since joining the ECHL, Missouri has never beaten Allen in regulation and has managed only one overtime win in 9 games.
  • Allen is currently second in the Western Conference and Central Division, one point behind Missouri.  Both teams are tied for wins at 10.  Allen has played 1 more game than Missouri.
  • Winner of this game will either lead the ECHL in points and wins or tie with Florida for the lead.
  • Physicality may be a factor in the game as Missouri is much more of a skilled team than a physical one.
  • Missouri has no players with more than 10 penalty minutes for this season; Allen has 9 players in that category
  • Missouri averages 8.2 penalty minutes per game: Allen 16.4
  • Missouri has three players averaging over a point per game, Allen has 2
  • It will be to Allen's advantage to play a physical game without taking unnecessary penalties
  • Both teams are similar in size averaging 6' in height.   Allen has a slight edge in average weight 197lbs. vs. 193lbs.
  • Missouri's new affiliation with Bridgeport/NY Islanders seems to have had a major impact on their performance this year.  Their roster players have had 637 AHL game experience (Allen has 479).   Thus far this year Missouri has had 15 players reassigned from their AHL affiliate (Allen has 5). AHL experience is an invaluable asset when playing in the ECHL.
  • Missouri had the two top goalies in the ECHL.  They are first and second in GAA (both are under 1.50) and first and fourth in SV% (both are above .940).  Both goalies are on reassignment from Bridgeport.
  • While Missouri is on a 5 game winning streak, both teams have won 5 of their last 6 games.   Missouri is undefeated at home, winning all three games played in Independence.  Allen has won 6 of 8 games on the road.
  • Both teams are undefeated when scoring first; also when leading after the first period. The team with the fast start is likely to win the game.
  • Leading scorers for the Mavericks are Jesse Root, Kellen Jones, and Tyler Barnes. Root and Jones have 14 points and Barnes has 13.  Root has 7 goals and Barns has 6 - this compares to the Americans whose top goal scorers have 5.  Root and Barnes are on reassignment from Bridgeport.
  • Referee for the game is Andrea Barone.   This is Barone's first year as an ECHL ref.  He started in September, 2015.  He does have prior experience in USA hockey, and the SPHL.  He has called 4 games this season with 49 penalties totally 150 minutes. Looks like he is doing a great job filling the void by Jake Brenk. (thanks to MavsfanJoe for posting this info on ECHLforum.com)

Everyone has heard the voice of our game announcer, but we know little about him.  So we interviewed Lee to find out more of what makes him tick!  We must say it was a very interesting interview and quite lengthy, so in the interest of time, we have consolidated and am posting what we think you would like to know.  Thanks to Lee for a great interview and spending so much time with us.

                                                (photo courtesy of scenebyKimberly)

Q. What does the job entail?
A. Being in a positive mood, even when you're not, it is important not to let your emotions come through the mike. Sometimes have to tune out the crowd, for example when a fight breaks out between the players.  I track penalties and goals as to be a source in case of a discrepancy. Watch the game differently than the fans, watch in anticipation for unexpected stoppage of play and announce the proper penalties, etc...  

Q. How long have you been with the Americans?
A.  Have been here since day 1,  Have only missed a couple of games.

Q. What is your full time job?
A. Regional Director of Pure Water technology.

Q. Is it hard to get off for daytime games?
A. No, have tons of vacation time and my boss is aware of what I do and he supports me.

Q. Is there anything special you need to do to prep for games, and does it vary by visiting teams?
A.  I check the players names and sometimes call the visiting team's front office for proper pronunciations.  I often write them down phonetically to ensure I announce them correctly.  Do not do anything special for different team, but if it is a big rivalry I will try to rev up the fans early in the game.

Q. Do you coordinate with the music director or with Tommy Daniels.
A.  I do not coordinate with the music director, but sometimes make suggestions. I usually only have to get with Tommy for stats, like if I know if someone is about to break a record.

Q. What is the craziest thing you have seen during intermissions.
A.  Strapping bungee chords to the entrance of the zamboni door and shooting people out..  One time someone went through the teflon wall.  They stopped doing that!  I would not call this crazy, but the most memorable event I have seen in Allen is Mark and Mary's wedding.  Then there was the time the Dallas zoo had the animals and a dog decided to go potty on the carpet.   And there was a time when we were rolling the carpets out for the first time and a couple rodents scrambled out.  Players tried to corral the rodents with their sticks!

Q. Are there any games we used to play during intermission you would like to see resurrected for intermissions?
A. No, but I would like to see, once in awhile, some big events for the fans like shootout for a car, or bedroom suite, things like that.

Q. Where are you originally from?
A.  My Dad was in the Air Force so I have moved around.  I have been in Texas since 2005, before that North Carolina, Germany, Kansas.  Folks in Germany told me that I talk funny as I had a southern accent.  I have had many opportunities traveling around that other kids did not have.

Q. Were you always interested in announcing?
A. No.  When I was in Kansas, a neighbor asked me to stay at her house while her child was sleeping so she could run to the store.  While I was in her house I noticed gold records and microphones and all this stuff, meanwhile, her husband came home first and we talked.  A couple of days later he asked me if I wanted to try being a disk jockey.  So I went on to DJ at a rock station, country station, top 40 station,etc.  I was attending Wichita Thunder games and came to know some of the people there.  One day I was asked to fill in for their announcer, and the rest is history, I became the Thunder announcer.  

Q. What are your announcing aspirations?
A.  I would love to do a NHL game.  I was in the running for the for the Stars PA vacancy but knew there were others more qualified than myself.  So needless to say, I did not get the job.  Maybe someday, when I do not have an Allen game, I will be asked to fill in for Jeff K.  I would love to do at least 1 game.

We would like to congratulate Lee Hastings and Lisa Hammond on their recent engagement.  We understand there will be a wedding soon!

                                               (photo courtesy of Lisa Hammond)



Did you know:  In 1885, Canada's first national hockey association was formed, with teams quickly influencing their neighbors to the south.  By 1896, teams were competing in the New York area, with the first game between the U. S. and Canada played in 1899.

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting piece on Lee! Great job you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad we have Lee in Allen, I remember listening to him when he announced for that team in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad we have Lee in Allen, I remember listening to him when he announced for that team in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete