You might describe the beginning of hockey season as trickle down hockey as the NHL starts training camp and releases players to AHL camps which start one week later. The AHL then releases players to ECHL camps who start camp a week later. The ECHL then releases players to SPHL camps which start a week later. Everything moves quickly as players have little time to show that they belong. Here is an update on the Sharks/Barracuda/Allen trickle down.
- The San Jose Sharks released nine players yesterday from their NHL camp (including Aaron Dell) and assigned them to the San Jose Barracuda training camp. The Sharks now have 27 players in camp with four more cuts to come before opening night on October 7.
- The San Jose Barracuda had their first on ice practice yesterday with 32 players in camp but the team will start releasing players after the first exhibition game which takes place Thursday. Here is the schedule for the remaining of the week.
Tuesday, September 29 (East Rink at Sharks Ice at San Jose)
Wednesday, September 30 (East Rink at Sharks Ice at San Jose)
Thursday, October 1 (East Rink at Sharks Ice at San Jose)
7:30pm Exhibition Game vs. Stockton (Sharks Ice at San Jose)
Friday, October 2 (East Rink at Sharks Ice at San Jose)
Saturday, October 3 (East Rink at Sharks Ice at San Jose)
7pm Exhibition Game at Bakersfield Condors (Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield, CA)
BARRACUDA TRAINING CAMP OFFICIALLY ENDS
- The Allen Americans will release their complete training camp schedule sometime today but the training camp roster is due to the ECHL by 3 p.m. ET on Thursday (October 1st), players will report on Friday, (October 2nd) and the first on ice practice will most likely be on Monday, October 5th. It remains to be seen which players currently at the Barracuda camp will be back in Allen by the 5th but the number will be in the range of 5-8. The first players to be released are usually those on tryout agreements (Hanson, Steffes, Baker, Makowski, DiPaolo) but it is possible one of them gets an AHL contract out of camp. The other assignments to Allen could be those players that were assigned last year (Crane, Arseneau, Rumpel) or players that have never been assigned. As a reminder here is the "never been assigned to Allen list" which was posted yesterday:
- If you are wondering who might be the players assigned to the
Americans by San Jose other than those that were in Allen last year here
are some possibilities. I have no inside info on these players. This is
just a list of the first players released from the Sharks NHL camp and
assigned to the Barracuda so it is certainly possible one or more of
these players gets assigned to Allen.
Daniel Doremus - F
Petter Emanuelsson - F
Adam Helewka - F
Nikita Jevpalovs - F
Jeremy Langlois - F
Trevor Parkes - F
Julius Bergman - D
Danny Federico - D
Patrick McNally - D
Rick Pinkston - D
Joakim Ryan - D
- The training camp roster for Allen will certainly be less than the ECHL allowed maximum of 30 players. Look for the training camp roster to have 26-28 players and there will be a couple of interesting surprises on the list when it is released.
- Just like the NHL & AHL camps the Allen camp will move fast with
the only preseason game in Wichita scheduled for October 10th and final
rosters due to the league office on October 14th with the opener on
October 16th. Coach Martinson will go from first practice to final roster in just ten days.
- You don't want to miss the event scheduled for Saturday (October 3rd) at the Allen Event Center (AEC) where most of the players on the training camp roster will be on hand from 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. to mingle with fans and sign autographs.
- The Allen Americans also announced yesterday that season ticket holders can pick up their tickets at the AEC from 12:00 - 6:00 pm on Saturday, so arrive by 12:30 p.m. and you can get your tickets and then meet all of the players. Enter through the Team Store.
- I have had several questions about when the ECHL TV packages would be available for purchase. Had the chance to ask that question to Joe Babik, ECHL Director of Communications. Here is what Joe had to say, "Barring any unforeseen circumstances the TV packages will be available to purchase on Friday (October 2nd) and yes there will be early bird rates again this season." So if you are thinking about buying one of the TV packages check the ECHL web site (echl.com) on Friday and don't procrastinate if you want to get the best price.
- After the blog post yesterday I found a few more former Allen Americans players that are attending AHL camps. Here is the list including when they played in Allen.
Jonathan Lessard (2013-2014) - Jonathan is signed with the Norfolk Admirals (ECHL) and is in camp with AHL Bakersfield Condors.
Matt Register (2011-2012) - Matt is signed with the Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL) and is in camp with the AHL Providence Bruins.
Garrett Klotz (2013-2014) - Garrett is signed with the Elmira Jackals (ECHL) and is in camp with the AHL Rochester Americans.
Justin DaCosta (2010-2011) - Justin is signed with the Brampton Beast (ECHL) and is in camp with the AHL Toronto Marlies.
DID YOU KNOW: One year ago today this was the opening to my blog post. There was a lot of speculation on what was happening with the CHL at the time. What a difference a year makes and what a memorable year it has been!
- Nothing new to report regarding what is happening with the CHL & ECHL but
everyone expects something to break this week. With Thursday being the
first day ECHL players can report to training camp and also the day
training camp rosters are due (3 pm ET) and Friday being the first day
of on ice sessions it makes sense something should be announced by
Friday. It is wait and see at this point.