*Please note while Barry's name remains at the bottom of this blog, he is on vacation and the information/views posted in his absence do not reflect Barry's views or the views of the Allen Americans organization.
Photo courtesy of Lauren Lyssy
The game started with an Americans flair as Tyler Ludwig scored the first goal just over a minute into the first period. Then Ontario's Tristan King evened the match in the second period. The tie would be broken less than 3 minutes later by Gary Steffes. The 1 goal lead prevailed until the games' final minute when Chris Crane buried an empty netter. Once again we had outstanding game performances by Justin Baker and Riley Gill. Baker assisted on the scores by Steffes and Crane and Gill again stopped 29 of 30, shots many worthy of a highlight reel.
On behalf of the Allen American fans, we believe we speak for most, thank you to the Ontario Reign for the most entertaining hockey we have seen this season. Wishing them continued success in the AHL next year.
- Gary Steffes
- Riley Gill
- Ontario's goalie Joe Cannata, who had an outstanding series
The boisterous,rowdy Allen crowd, which numbered 3248, witnessed an exciting game 7.
Coach Martinson's post game comments:
- Good comeback, Allen never gave up and never quit in spite of being down 3-1 in the series
- Defense improved which contributed to Gill's SV%, goalies care about their statistics too, with this victory it is back to over .900
- Baker continues to be a phenomenal rookie, he plays with a lot of poise
- Waiting for the results of the Toledo/South Carolina series, currently in overtime, hoping they get tired
- It is nice to be smiling, nice to be here (Allen), working well together Matt Canavan
- Have had prior experience with the Bruce Taylor cup, believes it's my fifth
- Did not like the way we played at times as we were tentative, were afraid of making mistakes, need to improve forechecking
- We had a great crowd tonight
- I think we have a team that can win this (Kelly Cup)
- Hoping for a South Carolina match up only because of home ice advantage
- Have not seen South Carolina play, will start watching S.C, video to prepare for series
- Shultz will be back at some point
- Trevor left game, needed stitches
- We have been much better, not giving up odd man rushes
A belated thank you goes out to Erik Adams and Aaron Gens for their input after the morning skate this past Tuesday.
We would like to apologize to Lauren Lyssy as we have been informed of some pictures not appearing on some devices. We believe this may be due to different media platforms. We are working to get this corrected and will re-post the photos in a future blog.
Did you know: Where's the beef? Utah has the heaviest team in the ECHL averaging 199.36lbs.. Bakersfield is the lightest averaging 187 lbs.. Ontario and Allen both weigh in at an average of 198.09 lbs.
FYI: there will be no blog on Friday, May 29, 2015 but we will be back Saturday, May 30th.