Monday, November 3, 2014

30 Questions With Devin Di Diomete - A Player Profile


Devin Di Diomete just started his seventh year as a professional and has played in 200 AHL games

Back in September when it was announced that Devin Di Diomete had signed with the Allen Americans it was no surprise as Steve Martinson has been trying to recruit Devin ever since he became the Allen coach back 2012. Di Diomete played for Martinson during the 2011-2012 season in Chicago (ECHL) and Martinson describes Devin like this, "He can do it all, skate, score, hit, fight, and make plays. He will be a fan favorite." He was drafted by the Calgary Flames in the 2006 NHL draft, has played 200 games in the American Hockey League (AHL) and also has played professional hockey in England, Italy and Sweden. A self described agitator who will always stick up for his teammates he has close to 200 fights in his hockey career including 31 fights in 2010-2011 when he led the AHL in fights.


The first impression when meeting Devin is the same impression you get when you see him play hockey. A guy that truly enjoys what he is doing and expresses it whenever he gets the chance. Someone who feels a 100% work ethic and lots of fun can go hand in hand. But what isn't so obvious until you talk to him is his absolute commitment to his team, the organization, the fans and the community.

Devin was kind enough to answer some get to know you questions so here goes:

Hockeydb and the Allen Americans team roster shows you as the lightest guy on the team at 176 pounds. How much do you weigh?
- I saw that and it is kind of funny as I haven't weighed 176 since I was in 9th grade. My weight is actually 212 pounds.

Can you tell us a little about your family?
- My father's name is Rob and he is a guidance counselor at a high school back home and my mom's name is Heidi and she is a nurse at a family doctor's office. I am the oldest of four children. My sister Haley is 24 and was just in Amsterdam working on her Masters degree, my brother Nolan is 22 and a paramedic in my hometown (Stratford, Ontario) and my youngest sister is Kiera who is 21 and manages a restaurant in my hometown.


You are wearing #84 and have worn that number before. Is that your favorite number?
- To be honest I am not a big number guy. If someone wanted my number it would be no problem giving it up. I usually take #84 as it is a number nobody wants.

What is your nickname?
- My nickname is "Deeds."

Who is your hockey hero?
-I would have to go with Steve Yzerman. I was a huge Red Wings fan growing up and the way he played the game was unbelievable. One of the best leaders to ever play the game and one of the best players as well.

At what age did you start skating? What is your earliest hockey memory?
- I remember my dad making a rink for me in the backyard when I was five or six and waking up before school to skate and my mom and dad yelling at me that I had to get ready for school. We had a big back yard before my parents put in a pool so my dad would always put in a rink. I did a lot of skating and shooting by myself and really loved it. I come from a small town so as I got older I usually played with kids a year or two older than me. I left home when I was 15 and was drafted by Sudbury of the Ontario Hockey league.

Can you describe your style of play?
- If you look at my stats most people would think all I am is a big goon but a lot of that comes from agitating. I like to think of myself as a player that can be trusted on the ice defensively and who can also score if given the opportunity. I have worked very hard the last couple of years to improve my skating and stick handling and being more aware of where my line mates are going to be. Playing in Europe with bigger ice has helped me as you are forced to skate and make plays. The super heavyweight in hockey is slowing finding its way out of the game because of rule changes and changes to the game itself. Teams can no longer have a guy whose only job is to fight.

Who is your favorite actor and actress?
- My favorite actor is Will Ferrell as I think he is hilarious. My favorite actress is Jennifer Aniston.

What is your favorite type of music?
- I like all types of music, it just depends on what kind of mood I am in.

Your current favorite singer or group?
- I have been listening to Eminem a lot recently.

What is a song or artist on your iPod you hope your teammates don't catch you listening to?
- Enrique Iglesias

If you could have lunch with anyone living who would you pick?
- Mike Tyson

What chore do you absolutely hate to do?
- I hate doing laundry.

What do you have that is of great value to you but little value to anyone else?
- My iPod as I love music.

Who do you admire as a leader?
- I would have to say my father. I have always looked up to him and he has been a big inspiration for me.

Where is the most interesting place you have ever visited?
- Barcelona, Spain

If you could live in another country for  two years where would you pick?
- I would pick Prague in the Czech Republic.

If you could be anything beside a pro hockey player what would it be?
- I would pursue a career in business.

Do you have any pre-game routines, rituals or superstitions?
- To be honest I don't like doing that stuff as if you start thinking about I did this and I scored and try to repeat it you just create mind games for yourself. I just like to come to the rink, listen to music, stretch out and then do my thing.


What do you like to do to kill time on the bus?
- I like to watch TV shows on the bus and sleeping a lot.

What was your favorite childhood toy?
 - I had a Sega video game console when I was a kid and used that a lot.

Do you have a favorite motto or saying?
- Not a saying for life but one of my coaches always said, "When in doubt knock'em out and ask questions later." It is not too inspirational but it has stuck with me.

What is your favorite TV show?
-  I was a big Entourage fan. Currently I would have to say Suits.

If you could choose someone as a mentor who would you choose?
- My father, he is extremely dedicated to his profession and his family.

Did you know anyone on the Allen team before you signed here?
- I knew Steve Martinson having played for him before but I only knew the players from playing against some of them.

Devin played for Steve Martinson and the Chicago Express in 2011-2012


What do you like to do away from the rink?
- I like to relax when I am away from the rink. I love football so watch a lot of that on TV. I have started to golf more since coming to Allen and I am a pretty big tennis player as I like that a lot.

Had you ever spent anytime in Texas prior to signing in Allen?
- When I was playing in Chicago (AHL) we had a long road trip and played in Houston, Austin and San Antonio and it was the favorite road trip I have been on in my entire career.

What is your favorite career hockey moment?
- I would have to say from a personal standpoint it was when I was drafted by the NHL. Growing up in Canada that is every kids dream. From a team standpoint it was when I was playing for Sudbury (OHL) and we went to the league finals. We were the last team to make the playoffs and knocked off the one, two and three seeds to make it to the finals. I have yet to win a championship so am hoping to win one in Allen.

Have you had any major injuries over the years?
- I have had two major hip surgeries that has put a damper on my career, however, I am playing today because of those surgeries. At one end it is disappointing but at the same time I get to play a game for a profession. There are young guys that want to get out of the ECHL and go to a higher level. For myself I played at a high level for a long time and with those hip surgeries I had to sign a legal document that says I can't sign a contract in the AHL or NHL. Allen is a place I am going to call home and am going to enjoy my time here. You can come to the rink and work super hard but also have some fun. We are pretty lucky in the grand scheme of things to be able to put equipment on and play a game for a living. Sure, there are higher levels to play at but at the end of the day we are all here because we love the game and we get to play it for fun.

As we were wrapping up Devin wanted to share that though he sometimes plays like a maniac he doesn't want the Allen fans to be intimidated to come up to him to talk, ask questions or get an autograph. There is one person that is on the ice but a different person off the ice. He likes to have a laugh and is very approachable and he wants all of the fans to know that.


Devin's statistics courtesy of Hockeydb:

Devin DiDiomete

Defense -- shoots R
Born May 9 1988 -- Stratford, ONT
[26 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 212
Drafted by Calgary Flames
- round 7 #187 overall 2006 NHL Entry Draft
 
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2004-05 Sudbury Wolves OHL 58 7 8 15 113 -2 11 0 1 1 11
2005-06 Sudbury Wolves OHL 60 15 21 36 202 010 0 4 4 26
2006-07 Sudbury Wolves OHL 62 21 19 40 205 1 21 6 6 12 62
2007-08 Sarnia Sting OHL 56 23 33 56 216 5 9 1 2 3 40
2008-09 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 73 4 5 9 239 -4 4 0 0 0 6
2009-10 Charlotte Checkers ECHL 15 2 2 4 128 -6 ----------
2009-10 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 34 0 2 2 119 2 ----------
2010-11 Hartford Wolf Pack/CT Whale AHL 63 6 4 10 303 -2 ----------
2011-12 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins AHL 2 0 0 0 2 1 ----------
2011-12 Wheeling Nailers ECHL 2 1 1 2 4 2 ----------
2011-12 Chicago Express ECHL 41 11 16 27 277 10 ----------
2011-12 Houston Aeros AHL 1 0 0 0 0 0----------
2012-13 Cardiff Devils EIHL 19 2 8 10 123   ----------
2012-13 Colorado Eagles ECHL 9 4 3 7 45 -1 ----------
2012-13 Chicago Wolves AHL 23 2 3 5 57 1 ----------
2013-14 Farjestads BK Karlstad SweHL 12 0 0 0 32 1 ----------
2013-14 Milan Italy-A 23 10 14 24 65   4 6 1 7 12
2014-15 Sheffield Steelers EIHL 5 1 1 2 12 0




2014-15 Allen Americans ECHL 4 0 1 1 20 -1
 
 
DID YOU KNOW: Devin Di Diomete has had many fight over the years with some familiar names  to Allen fans. He has fought Antoine Roussel of the Dallas Stars twice winning both fights and has also won fights against Jason Pitton (Brampton), David Rutherford (Missouri) and Theo Peckham (Wichita).













No comments:

Post a Comment