Friday, November 22, 2013

20 Questions With Greger Hanson - An Introduction


Greger & Andrea Hanson were married in July

If you have ever looked at a stress test where you can calculate how stressed you are based on life events you know that Greger Hanson's score would be off the charts based on his life over the last year. Living away from family, check. Changing jobs four times, check, Moving four times, check. Getting married, check. Personal injury, check.

His mom and dad and a sister are back in Lidingo, Sweden where he was born and raised. Lidingo is an island which you could call a suburb of Stockholm. Greger describes it as a beautiful place within 10 minutes of Stockholm with forests, fields and lots of water. His dad is in the consulting business (Stockholm Consulting Group) and his sister works for Ernst & Young in Stockholm. His other sister is attending business school in Copenhagen. He has one brother who is playing hockey for Northern Michigan University (NMU), the same school Greger attended. Gregor met his wife, Andrea, while they were both attending NMU. They were just married in July. Andrea is attending law school at Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She will visit Allen as her law school schedule permits.

Hanson had a great rookie season with the Wichita Thunder last year with 44 points (21 goals 23 assists) in 44 games. He also had a great playoff run until he was injured and could not play in the seventh game of the championship series which is now referred to as the greatest game in Allen Americans history.

Gregor decided to leave Wichita this year and signed with the Colorado Eagles (ECHL) but was released during training camp. He then was signed by the Greenville Warriors (ECHL) which was great because it meant he would be playing close to Andrea. After four games with Greenville he was released.

With all that has happened in the last year you can see why Hanson's stress score would be off the charts. I found him to be just the opposite. He is a relaxed, bright young man ( his degree from NMU is in business) who has a positive attitude and is very engaging. He is extremely happy to be playing for the Allen Americans and I know coach Martinson is excited about what Greger can bring to the team. Martinson has explained to me a couple of different times that all players need is an opportunity to be successful and sometimes that doesn't happen in the ECHL. Often times ECHL teams are required to take or keep contracted players from their AHL affiliates and let go players that are free agents who are better than the AHL contracted players.

Here are the details:
Hometown: Lidingo, Sweden
Birthdate: February 17, 1988
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 185
Position: Forward
Shoots: Left
Number: 12


Roommate: Phil Fox

Nickname: I really have never had one. My teammates usually just call me Greger

Hockey Hero: I admire they way that Pavel Bure played the game and try to model my play after him. I really liked Mats Sundin growing up as we were from the same junior team.

How would you describe your style of play: I rely a lot on speed and creating opportunities with my speed. I am pretty good around the net, can score goals, and think I do well on the forecheck.

What is your very first hockey memory: When I was three or four I would skate with my mom and dad and sometimes my grandpa on a flooded soccer field in the winter. While my dad did play some hockey his main sport was soccer (he still plays) but my grandfather was a professional hockey player and also was excellent at a sport popular in Sweden called bandy.

Favorite actor: I like Will Farrell and enjoy all of the Leonardo DiCaprio movies

Favorite type of music: I listen to a little bit of everything but really enjoy old school rock.

Favorite singer or group: Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen

If you could have lunch with anyone who would you pick: Tom Brady

Something people would be surprised to learn about you: I cook a lot, enjoy cooking and I am pretty good at it. I enjoy shopping at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Another thing is that I have a fear of spiders and snakes.

What chore do you absolutely hate to do: Moving in and out of houses.

What is of great value to you but little value to anyone else: My business degree from NMU and my getting married to Andrea.

Who do you admire as a leader: In sports I would say Tom Brady as he was not a high draft pick but has turned into a great player. He leads by example.

The most interesting place you have ever visited: Tunisia in Africa

If you could live in another country for two years where would you pick: Australia or New Zealand.

If you could be anything besides a pro athlete what would you do: I would work in Capital Investment. My first job was with a Capital Investment Bank and I really enjoyed that experience.

Any pregame rituals or superstitions: No, I never have had any. I follow the same routine once I get to the rink and I don't like to get to the rink too early, but no rituals.

Who is your number one fan: I would say my dog, Bella, who is always happy to see me regardless of what happens in hockey. She is a Yorkie/ Maltese mix called a Morkie. She is with Andrea now but she will come and visit.

What do you like to do to kill time on the bus: I spend a lot of time on my phone browsing the internet but I also enjoy talking to people and getting to know my teammates better.

Favorite childhood toy: My bike as I was into doing tricks on my bike. I wrecked quite a few bikes doing tricks.

Favorite motto or saying: "The Legs Feed The Wolf" was on our wall at school. It has meaning as it relates to hockey.

Who would you choose as a mentor: My parents and my wife.

Favorite TV show:  Game of Thrones

What do you like to do away from the rink: I enjoy golf but not sure how much I will be able to play during the season.


DID YOU KNOW:
Originally coined by the late, great coach Herb Brooks, "The Legs Feed the Wolf" is a phrase that was used to inspire the players of the Gold Medal Winning 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team.
It's meaning stems from the hunting behavior of wolves who must locate, stalk & then chase their prey. Some wolves have been known to chase their prey for up to 13 miles. A wolf must be able to outrun and outlast its prey in order to eat and ultimately survive.
The same can be said of hockey players. In order to be successful, you must be able to outlast and out-will your opponent. The Legs Feed the Wolf saying is a perfect reminder to every hockey player to dig deep, to keep moving your feet & to never give up!




No comments:

Post a Comment